The Story of Ipswich’s workhouses
Using material principally sourced from primary material, Four Tenements and a Hay House chronicle the story of 400 years of workhouses in the county town of Ipswich. From Christ Hospital, (the first workhouse in the county), in operation by 1574, through the multifunction establishments of the 17th century, to the introduction of parochial workhouses in each of the town’s twelve parishes at the start of the 18th century. The story then moves on to the first Union House in Whip Street, built c1836, and it’s replacement Heathfield’s opened in 1899, which within ten years became a respite for the poor of neighbouring unions before it’s own closure on 1st April 1930.
Printed by Printing for Pleasure, Chattisham
Priced at £7.95 plus £2 p&p